A providential rain helped firemen combat the flames at the old wagon factory on May 8, 1932. The fire was believed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion and fed by a thousand gallons of oil, grease, and alcohol stored in the building.
The fire also destroyed the adjoining business of J. A. McDonald marble works, a blacksmith shop and the Frick-Reid supply store. Fire units were called from DuBois, Clarion, and New Bethlehem to fight the blaze. Thirty-six used cars and trucks and various auto supplies owned by the L. A. Leathers Garage across the street were also consumed by the fire.